Please note – Solon is an online service providing legal forms and financial information, and not a law firm, or a substitute for a lawyer’s advice about complex estate planning. A user is free to seek legal advice, if deemed necessary.
We may collect, use, store, delete, and transfer different kinds of personal data about you. We have collated these into groups as follows;
When you register to use our Services by establishing a Portfolio, Will and Portfolio or Will Only Account, we will collect Personal Data as necessary to offer and fulfil the Services you request. Depending on the Services you choose, we may require you to provide us with your name; your identity including information such as first name, last name, title, date of birth (where applicable), and other identifiers that you may have provided at some time.
Your contact information includes information such as billing address, postal address, telephone number, email address, and biometric identification information to establish an Account. And any other information you have given to us for the purpose of communication or meeting as you use our Services.
Transaction and experience information
When you use our Services or access our Sites, for example, to pay for the Portfolio Will or Will Only service, we collect information about the transaction, as well as other information associated with the transaction such as the payment amount, the date and time, amount paid for products or services, merchant information, including information about any funding instruments used to complete the transaction, device Information, Technical Usage Data, and Geolocation Information. For more refer to Information relating to your method of payment below.
The value of your financial estate. This will include your estimate worth as your debts. The information may be used to offer additional services to you.
Marketing data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us; communication preferences; responses and actions in relation to your use of our services.
Connecting your contacts
It may be easier for us to help you add your friends and contacts if you choose to connect your contact list information with your Solon account.
As a testator, executor or witness using our service, mobile application or website, you may be required to provide more information to us in order for us to provide our services to you. You are hereby warranted to provide any such information as and when required.
Automatically collected information
When you access or use our Services, we may also automatically collect information about you. This includes both when you log in and your usage. We may log information when you access and use the Services. This may include your IP address, user-agent string, browser type, operating system, referral URLs, device information (e.g., device IDs), device settings, pages visited, links clicked, the requested URL, and search terms.
It also includes information about your location. We may receive and process information about your location. For example, with your consent, we may collect information about the specific location of your mobile device (for example, by using GPS or Bluetooth). We may also receive location information from you when you choose to share such information on our Services, including by associating your content with a location, or we may derive your approximate location from other information about you, including your IP address.
Your profile includes information such as your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, information within your portfolio (if applicable), your interests, preferences, and feedback and survey responses.
Information we process because we have a contractual obligation with you
When you set up an account, create a portfolio or buy a product/service from us, or otherwise agree to our terms and conditions, a contract is formed between you and us.
In order to carry out our obligations under that contract, we must process the information you give us. Some of this information may be personal information.
We may use it in order to:
- verify your identity for security purposes
- process your order
- provide you with our services
- contact you when required
- make payments
- provide you with suggestions and advice on products, services and how to obtain the most from using our mobile application or website.
We process this information on the basis there is a contract between us or because you have been appointed as an executor or witness under such contract, or that you have requested we use the information before we enter into a legal contract.
We shall continue to process this information until the contract between us ends or is terminated by either party under the terms of the contract. If you would like us to destroy information we hold about you, please let us know by contacting us on the contact details provided on our mobile application or website, or simply email us on email@example.com. However, please note that if you use any of our services which require you to provide personal information, deleting our records may mean that you will need to resubmit it to continue using such services.
We may also require some third-party information from the testator in order to provide services to them. We may retain such information on our databases for as long as we deem it necessary to provide our services. We may contact the noted third parties to verify their identities [proof of life] after the execution of the testator’s will. You warrant that any such information is true and accurate. We shall not be liable for any incorrect or omitted information by a testator regarding any third party including their executor and/or beneficiary.
How we work with this information
- Provide, maintain, and improve the Services;
- Research and develop new services;
- Help protect the safety of the services provided to our users, which includes blocking suspected spammers, uncovering fraud and enforcing the set policies.
- Send you financial notices, will related notifications, updates, security alerts and other support and administrative messages;
- Provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, and events, and provide other news and information we think will be of interest to you (for information about how to opt out of these communications, see “Your Choices” below);
- Monitor and analyse trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Measure the effectiveness of ads shown on our Services; and
- Personalize the Services, and provide and optimize advertisements, content, and features that match user profiles or interests
Disclosure of information
Solon may disclose potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only to those of its employees, contractors and affiliated organisations that
- need to know that information in order to process it on Solon’s behalf or to provide services available on our mobile application or website, and that have agreed not to disclose it to others.
- Some of those employees, contractors and affiliated organisations may be located outside of your home country; by using our mobile application/website, you consent to the transfer of such information to them.
Solon will not rent or sell potentially personally identifying and personally identifying information to anyone. Other than to its employees, contractors and affiliated organisations, as described above, Solon may also disclose potentially personally identifying and personally identifying information to third party organisations/companies such as independent financial advisors, life insurance companies, hedge fund, equity release advisers or in response to a subpoena, court order or other governmental request, or when Solon believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Solon Ltd, third parties or the public at large.
As a registered user or subscriber of our mobile application and/or website, we may, with your consent occasionally send you an email to tell you about new features, newsletter, solicit your feedback, or just keep you up to date with what’s going on with Solon and our products/services. We shall keep this type of email to a minimum.
If you send us a request (for example via a support email or via one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish it in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users. Solon takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorised access, use, alteration or destruction of potentially personally identifying and personally identifying information.
Testators understand that to process and execute their will effectively, some personally identifiable information will need to be shared with the executor(s) and witness(es). The testator, therefore, grants us the right to share such information with executor(s) and witness(es).
Information we process with your consent
We only share nonpublic information about you in the following ways.
With your consent. We may share information about you with your consent or at your direction.
- With our linked third-party service providers. We may share information with vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work recommended by us. Their use of personal data will be subject to appropriate confidentiality and security measures. A few examples: (i) independent financial advisors who provide information on how to optimise portfolios, (ii) life insurance firms who provide an option for users without life insurance (iii) third-party ads measurement providers who help us and advertisers measure the performance of ads shown on our Services.
- To comply with the law. We may share information in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request, including, but not limited to, meeting national security or law enforcement requirements. To the extent the law allows it, we will attempt to provide you with prior notice before disclosing your information in response to such a request. Our Transparency Report has additional information about how we respond to government requests.
- To enforce our policies and rights. We may share information if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our User Agreement, rules, or other Solon policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of ourselves and others. With our affiliates. We may share information between and among Solon, and any of our parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other companies under common control and ownership.
- Aggregated or de-identified information. We may share information about you that has been aggregated or anonymized such that it cannot reasonably be used to identify you. For example, we may show the total number of times a testator is changed without identifying who the user conducting the change is.
Information relating to your method of payment
As a user who has purchased a product or service on our mobile application or website, we may store information about your debit or credit card or other means of payment when you first provide it to us through our payment gateway or on your profile. We store this payment information [at your request] in order to make repeat purchasing of goods and services easier next time you visit our website.
[We also store it to help us prevent fraud.]
We take the following measures to protect your payment information:
- We keep your payment information encrypted on our servers.
- We do not keep all your payment information so as:
Access to your payment information is restricted to authorised staff only.
If we ask you questions about your payment information, we only show [partial detail OR the first four OR the last four digits of the debit or credit card number], so that you can identify the means of payment to which we refer.
- to prevent the possibility of duplicating a transaction without a new instruction from you;
- to prevent any other third party from carrying out a transaction without your consent
We delete your payment information upon your request or when a credit or debit card expires.
In some cases, at the point of payment, you are transferred to a secure page on the website such as PayPal or some other reputable payment service provider. That page may be branded to look like a page on our website, but it is not controlled by us.
Deleting your account
You may delete your account information at any time. You can also submit a request to delete the personal information Solon maintains about you by contacting us. When you delete your account, your profile is no longer visible. We may also retain certain information about you as required by law or for legitimate business purposes after you delete your account.
The security of your Personal Information is important to us but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Links to External Sites
Breach of “Privacy”
Users have a right to pursue legally enforceable rights against us if we fail to adhere to the privacy laws (as stipulated in the terms and conditions). Privacy laws under this agreement shall include reasonable privacy laws acceptable and used in commercial businesses. These laws require not only that users have enforceable rights against us, but also that users have recourse to courts or government agencies to investigate and/or prosecute non-compliance by Solon.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about our company’s Terms and Conditions, or you would like to exercise one of your data protection rights, please do not hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org, or other contact details provided on our mobile application or website.